Monday, March 15, 2010

Storm in Gray



Back in the 80's I came across an old magazine page that had a black and white picture of this scene. I held onto it hoping some day to recreate it on canvas. What struck me about the picture was this incredibly ferocious looking sky. It is a reminder to me that try as man does to contain and control outside forces, he must never lose sight of the fact that he does not have the capacity to regulate, control or predict the most powerful of forces...nature.

2 comments:

  1. This is always my favouritism. I particularly like the play of the light and darkness. The clash of the two primal forces with the light and the darkness. The grays that handle the interplay between the two opposing forces is optimal in this painting.

    When I look into the depth I feel as if I am at conflict with the inner demons within. This is the storm that passes through life and causes us to choose a direction at some point. It is the eternal struggles that follow us through this mortal coil.

    Very nicely done!

    Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from Oklahoma, I am always drawn to anything related to severe weather. Being an amateur photographer who prefers to shoot black & white film of all things, this painting hits me from 2 sides. I really wish I could see this in person. I LOVE this! It's cold, stark, and warm and inviting all at once. Well done Cindy, well done!

    ReplyDelete